WSCSD-Kenya is a youth-led and student-focused non-profit organization, aimed at creating opportunities for students to learn more about Sustainable Development and live it by collaboratively undertaking projects within campus and at the community level.
WSCSD-Kenya is the local chapter of the global WSCSD network and evolved from the Students for Global Sustainability – University of Nairobi (SfGS-UoN), a single student community formed in 2006 at the University of Nairobi (UoN). The organization is currently autonomous, serving all universities in Kenya and was legally registered by the Kenyan government in 2013.
During the World Student Summit for Sustainability (S3) in 2012, it was observed that for a full realization of WSCSD’s vision in Kenya, the formation of a coordinative body was imperative. This gave birth to WSCSD-Kenya, which was consequently registered in July 2013.
What started off with only a few students from University of Nairobi’s Students for Global Sustainability (SfGS-UoN) has since grown to form a large network of like-minded students and youth committed to addressing the multi-faceted sustainability challenges in Kenya. To date, WSCSD-Kenya spearheads implementation of sustainability-related projects within and outside of campuses in Kenya.
To be the leading force for sustainability and a hub for student engagement in championing Sustainable Development (SD) in Kenya and beyond
To inspire, inform, motivate and empower students to create sustainable communities around them.
WSCSD’s mission is three fold:
- Explore sustainability on campus and beyond
- Engage in creating positive eco-social change
- Empower a network of student innovators and entrepreneurs focused on community solutions and sustainability.
- Propagate the agenda of sustainability and sustainable development among students both as a relevant academic discourse and a culture of practice;
- Encourage and empower students to promote the concept of sustainability, both in centers of learning and the society at large, by way of facilitating the implementation of community-based projects;
- Host and participate in sustainability forums, local and international.
Nickson Otieno – President
Bonface Nduma – Vice-President
Samuel Atula – Secretary
Joyce Kafu – Director, Communications
- Obadiah Ombati
- Esther Osano
- Elidah Onyango
- Vincent Kipkirui
- Antline Kerubo
- Diana Inyambura
- Joyce Mukoma
- Lucy Wanjiku
- Susan Mithamo
- George Karanja
Mahesh Pradhan – UNEP EETU
Dr. Ayub Macharia – NEMA
Prof. Mungai – WMI – UoN
Suzanne Owiyo – Musician
Julie Gichuru – Media Personality
Quick Links to other pages:
- Vision, Mission & Objectives
- Board Members
- Partners and Friends
- Join or Support Us
- Student Summit for Sustainability (S3)
- Adopt an Ecosystem Initiative
- Sustainable Village Initiative
- GreeningU Initiative
- Nyakongo Biosand Filters
- Green Entrepreneurship
- United Youth for Peace through Community Development
- Sustainable Energy Competition on Low-Carbon Neighborhood Development
- RE:SOLUTIONS – 21 young leaders on climate change
- WSCSD’s African Initiative
- Vision – an E-journal on sustainability
- Student Community Projects